POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : area_light looks like a point light : Re: area_light looks like a point light Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:20:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: area_light looks like a point light
From: oldmicah
Date: 16 Jul 2003 22:55:01
Message: <web.3f160f69231f8c259cfc34200@news.povray.org>
I've been stumbling through and learning, and the lighting misconsceptions
page was a big help. :)

Using an array of lights (not area lights) gave me almost exactly what I
wanted.
image here: http://homepage.mac.com/sstrange/POV/libraryatnight4.jpg
light source code:
  light_source { < currposition, lightcenterheight + 5*wallthickness,
lightcenterdepth>  color red .05 green .05 blue .05
 jitter
 fade_distance 4  fade_power 2
 }

The problem is that the banded shadows coming off of the side of the lamp
makes it obvious I'm using a bunch of descreet lights.  (specifically 30)
One fix I've considered is to also put an area light in there with
extremely high density of area_light in there also.  Is there a better way?
 Should I just bite the bullet and put enough lights in there that the
banding becomes less obvious?

Thanks again for your help on this.  The image is already many many times
better than when I started.

-Steven